Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Vegetable and Mahi Biryani

Since I started this blog a month or so ago, I have pretty much only written about biking. One post was tangentially about beer consumption. Occasionally I mention beer consumption when also talking about biking. I suppose given what I chose to name this, that all makes perfect sense.

I have always wanted to come up with something else to write about. I will go ahead and take writing about biophysics off the table, as little as I imagine people wanting to read about my biking/ beer biophysics I think would be exponentially worse... This does not of course mean I won't change my mind about that. Getting to the point, I also enjoy cooking sundry things for myself. Although these days I find it kind of depressing to cook for only myself I still do it.

Tonight, as this post title suggests, I made myself a vegetable and mahi biryani (indian rice pilaf). I got the idea from perusing an old cooking light magazine and using what I had at home.

Anyway, I thought I would share... be forwarned, its a bit spicy as I made it.

1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp black pepper corns
1/2 tsp ground tumeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 dried red chilies
1 bay leaf
1 fresh serrano chili (finely diced)
1 red potato (about 1/2 inch pieces)
1 small yellow onion (diced)
1 carrot (about 1/2 pieces)
1 handful frozen peas
1 handful frozen green beans
1 Mahi Mahi filet
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups water
1 tspsalt
1/2 tsp ground pepper

To start warm some olive oil in a dutch oven type pot (I'm a fan of this one) and toss in 1/2 tsp of the cumin seeds, the coriander seeds and the black pepper corns. Wait until the cumin is browned and add the onion after the onion begins to soften, add the carrot and potato and dried chilies. Allow it to cook for another 5 minutes or so, then grind the remaining tsp of cumin seed in a coffee grinder (you could use already ground cumin, but use about half as much). Add the cumin, cayenne, tumeric, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Allow everything to saute for another 5 minutes or so until everything begins to soften. Now, add the serrano chili frozen peas and green beans. When the peas and green beans are about thawed, stir in the rice. when the rice is coated with spice and add the water. Bring to boil then reduce heat and cover. After 10 minutes, stir in 1 inch pieces of Mahi. Recover and allow to cook for another 5 minutes then turn off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.

To be honest, I think it would be just as good without the fish if you are of the vegetarian persuasion.

If anyone actually tries this, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment