Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wow, I thought I would actually update this thing...

So... I was thinking that since I spent the time setting this up, I would actually make an attempt at writing something. The last few weeks have been pretty much all the exact same formula. I do something exciting/time consuming and spend the rest of the week attempting to catch myself up before doing it again the next weekend.

April 19th was the St. Louis marathon. I had my doubts going in about how this was going to go.
The problem was that I had kind of forgone my rather structured training for a more "abstract" approach. By this of course I mean I didn't run that much and started going to the bars a bit more. At first I thought this was going to be terrible, but I fairly easily ran 7.5 miles at 8:15 pace the week leading up so I thought I was in decent shape to hit my 1:45 goal... I really should have given up on that. The day of the race it was raining, this also should have convinced me to scale back my expectations. However, like 5 miles in I was feeling good and pretty much exactly on my pace so I was going for it... this lasted until about mile 9 or 10 when my body just gave up. Oh well. I'm not a runner.

As a side note, running for nearly 2 hours in the rain results in odd, excessive quantities of chafing.


The next weekend I headed to San Francisco to visit Mike and watch some Nicolas Cage movies. These things were done, along with sundry other hanging out that varied from exceptionally gay to just a bit hipstery.


Napa on friday was a good time, as was the new Nicolas Cage movie "Knowing".

This weekend I am in St. Louis under the presumption that I was going to be racing my mountain bike. This sadly is not going to happen. Due to a risk of rain the race has been postponed. Oh well. After my pitiful performance in the wednesday night group ride I probably would have been owned anyway.

On a good note, Mesa Cycles was "Grand Re-Opening". They had a specialized demo group ride this morning on which I got to ride an S-Works Roubaix with fully 2009 Dura Ace. Although, this is an enormous departure from the geometry and ride I am used to, I actually enjoyed it. The most obvious feature of the geometry was how easily it held a line. The bike was just completely solid in the group. I could just sit and chat without thinking about what I was doing. On the negative side, at the end of the ride a few dudes attacked and I attempted to bridge up. The someone upright position the roubaix encourages made it feel sort of like I was driving a truck... Oh well. In all, I think it would be a very pleasant bike to put a lot of miles on. It might however annoy you if your riding style is at all aggresive.

Also, they had neither s-works or pro shoes in stock in size 42.5 white... that was dissappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment